Kicheche Mara Camp
Kicheche Mara Camp lies within the Mara North Conservancy, just outside Kenya’s famous Masai Mara National Reserve. It is a small tented camp which is set in a beautiful location in the remote Acacia Valley of the conservancy, impinging little on the natural habitat, with wild animals wandering through the area unperturbed. It’s a great spot for families to enjoy a safari amid spectacular wildlife.
Accommodation & Facilities
The camp has nine tents with views of the valley and the surrounding grassy plains. Four of the tents are set up as triples and quads, and there is a family tent with two en-suite bedrooms and a shared lounge, offering plenty of space and making a great option for families. Each tent has an en-suite bathroom with a solar heated shower and a flush loo. Although there is a dining tent, most meals are eaten outdoors. There is a separate communal tent with comfy chairs, a great place to relax with a small library of reference books.
Eating & Sleeping
Children can eat at times to suit them and there is a children’s menu featuring dishes such as chicken fillet strips with chips, salad or vegetables, pasta baked in a cheese sauce, tomato and mozzarella cheese pizza. There is no babysitting or listening service so parents need to be responsible for the supervision of their children.
Wildlife & Activities
Day and evening game drives with Kicheche Mara Camp’s experienced guides in customised 4×4 vehicles allow guests to view the incredible wildlife for which the Masai Mara is renowned. Between July and October huge herds of wildebeest and zebra migrating from the adjoining Serengeti swell the substantial numbers of resident animals, creating one of the world’s greatest wildlife spectacles. Thanks to the large amount of prey in the area, fearsome predators such as crocodiles, lions, leopards and cheetahs abound in the Mara North Conservancy. Walking safaris are on offer here, and provide a very different perspective of the fauna and flora of this amazing reserve. Fly camping can also be arranged in advance.
Specifically for children …………..
• The Masai staff will take children out to show them how to shoot with bows and arrows and throw spears. They can also take them on a short nature walk.
• Masai village trip.
• Aitong town market (Thursdays).
• Trip to local nursery school (supported by the camp’s community project).
• Learning to light a fire with stones.
• Leaves and plants – to collect 5 and identify.
• Making bow and arrows and spear launching.
• Animal footprint identification.
• Toasting mash mallows on the fire while on sundowners in the conservancy.
• ‘Kicheche Kids’ Klub’ completion certificate awarded at end of stay.