Sosian is set amid stunning scenery and overlooked by snow-capped Mount Kenya, the old ranch house sits within a 24,000-acre working ranch on the Laikipia plateau. Children of all ages are welcome.
Accommodation & Facilities
The lodge comprises seven double rooms in four spacious cottages. Each room has a big bed, a large en-suite bathroom, and a private verandah. All of the rooms can accommodate extra single beds and there are two cots at the lodge. The family cottage has a double room, and a twin and triple that interconnect. Each room has its own bathroom and the triple room purposely has a bath tub rather than a shower which is more child friendly for bathing smaller children. The airy and beautifully furnished main house has a big sitting room, a billiards room, a swimming pool, and a tennis court.
Meals may be eaten in the dining room, on the large verandah or by the swimming pool. There is also a tree house overlooking the acacia dam where you can enjoy a picnic or sundowners whilst watching a huge variety of animals coming to drink at the water. The pool is solar heated and has three depth levels so is ideal for children.
Eating & Sleeping
Children can have separate meal times and menus tailored to their likes – children and parents are welcome into the kitchens to discuss what they like with the chefs. Most popular dishes are homemade pizza, pasta dishes, fish and chips, homemade chicken nuggets, hamburgers and shepherd’s pie along with jelly, ice cream, yoghurts etc. for puddings. The kitchen can also prepare baby food. Also popular are picnic suppers which the children can enjoy whilst their parents are having evening sundowners out in the bush at the end of a game drive.
Several of the ladies employed at the lodge are available to babysit if parents want to take a game drive without their children, or if they want to eat later than their children in the evening.
Wildlife & Activities
The activities offered at Sosian include horse riding through the wildlife filled ranch, bush walks, fly camping, camel safaris, day and night wildlife drives, guided bird watching and fishing. Spectacular waterfalls offer alternative swimming along the Euaso Narok River. More than 250 species of birdlife and an abundance of mammals can be found on Sosian, including lion, elephant, leopard, eland, and buffalo, and rare species such as Jackson’s hartebeest, Grevy’s zebra and reticulated giraffe. Guests are also encouraged to participate in ranch life, such as dipping cattle.
Specifically for children …
The lodge staff are not specifically trained to look after children but Kenyan people absolutely love children. The guides always make a bee line for the children in a group and have them engaged right from the start. Among activities on offer are:
• Pony rides – there are several children’s ponies and the lodge offers garden rides at teatime, lessons in the arena, and gymkhana activities. For the older and more competent children (8 years plus) there is also bush riding and jumping round the small cross country course.
• Archery – children can make their own bows and arrows and then practice target shooting with the guides.
• Tennis – hard surface tennis court with children’s rackets.
• Fishing – child rods and very enthusiastic guides!
• Fly camping – custom designed raised beds with mosquito dome net for children.
• River activities – for older children (who can swim), kayaking, tubing and rope swings.
• Cattle ranching – children can have a go at branding and help herd the cattle for dipping.
• Climbing Baboon Rock – this is a rewarding activity and possible for children as young as three years, with help from the guides.