Harking back to the glory days of exploration, mobile safaris are led by a professional guide together with all the camp staff and equipment required for a self-contained journey into pristine wilderness areas.
Taking advantage of their mobility, these safaris are flexible enough to move to the best game viewing areas, travelling deep into reserves and parks, well beyond the reach of most lodges – and other tourists. Lasting between four and 12 nights in length, mobile safaris are perfectly suited to the active and curious visitor who wants to get off the beaten path.
With everything from game drives to walks to canoeing, and scenic flights on offer, these trips focus on superb wildlife and awe-inspiring landscapes. Accommodation can range from comfortable dome pop-ups to large en-suite Meru style tents. Some mobile safaris use semi-permanent camps and lodges, moving every two or three days to maximize your experience. These safaris tend to have some of the top guides in each country, guaranteeing knowledgeable, engaging and entertaining company on unforgettable journeys.
Watch this video from &Beyond’s Botswana Explorer mobile safari, perfect for families, groups or solo travellers looking for a private guided safari.
- There are mobile safaris with accommodation from small domes to huge luxury tents. Tell us your wishes.
- Would you like a specialist safari – photography, birding, walking? We have many options for you.
- Take a good head torch – most mobile camps have very little light available after dark.
- Take enough batteries; charging is possible, but not as available as at a lodge.
- Make sure you have a pair of binoculars each.
- Take a sunhat and sun-block but also pack a fleece / windproof too – evening al fresco meals can be cool.
- A private mobile safari is a wonderful way to travel with family or a group of friends.
- Experience a classic mobile tented safari: Sample itinerary with Letaka Safaris 9-Night Safari